marvelloussbooks

marvelloussbooks

Reading is in progress.

Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1)

Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1) - Tessa Adams 2 stars

SPOILER ALERT. This is an honest and highly subjective review, proceed with caution. You have been warned.

Dylan (Dragon King) + Phoebe (she thinks she's human but she's a dragon shifter).

It was creepy or I could say perhaps it was my luck to find this book because the story was a bit similar to my life minus the fantasy bit. Why did I say that?

*The heroine's research grant being yanked by university. In my case, it's not being yanked, it's discontinued. I can say my research is now shitty.
[...] the idea of working in someone else's―as a junior member of a research team―held no appeal. - This, I agreed. I've been there, done that and it's not pretty. AT ALL.

"Try to find our own funding?" They both laughed. - Ohhh I'm cracking too. I'm not fortunate with money and offered scholarship is enough ONLY to pay grad school's semester fee. Let alone to fund my research.

*The heroine's family was diagnosed and killed by lupus. The same disease killed my uncle two years ago, RIP.

Why 2 stars though?
There are so many flaws in this book. I wish it explains how they engineered the mutated-blood disease (brilliant idea!) that can kill even the most powerful dragon clan in history. I wish it's more about the mystery and suspense than boring, dull intimacy scenes (except one particular scene, got me fan-self). ESPECIALLY, I wish I was being prepared earlier regarding the fact that the heroine's is a dragon-shifter instead of the bomb being dropped on me out of nowhere. And other missing stuffs as well that I just lazy to mention them all.

Read on your own peril.