marvelloussbooks

marvelloussbooks

Reading is in progress.

Divergent

Divergent  - Veronica Roth Divergent is the first novel written by Veronica Roth and Ms. Roth, two thumbs-up for you! I’m not really a fan of dystopian books but I still read them and I quite liked Divergent. The thing is, I couldn’t stop from being curious about this book and I heard a lot good things about it. Besides, Divergent is one of the nominees in 2011 Goodreads Choice Awards and it has high ratings!

The book’s about a 16 years old Beatrice (Tris) Prior and to reach adulthood, she must choose which factions (Abnegation/Selflessness, Dauntless/Fearlessness, Candor/Honesty, Amity/Peace, Erudite/Knowledge) that will determine her future. She received inconclusive result and that made her a Divergent – dangerous and threat. Higher authority wanted she dead. I haven’t read The Hunger Games but I believed this one is different. From what I’ve read, each factions wanted to do something good and bring benefits to everyone. But of course there were some people in government wanted to control, wouldn’t wish things to get on their ways, greed, and power envy. That’s typical because it didn’t just happen in dystopian books, it happens in real world. Okay, not going to talk about political issue here. Okay, move on.

Tris the Abnegation chose to be Dauntless and her experience in her now new faction was amazing! Full of chaos, brutal, daredevil stunts, competition, adrenaline rush and thrill. Despite all the excitement, the pressure was so intense and could turn someone into depressed and felt really weak or useless. During her training, she met a handsome but deadly instructor and he’s name is Four. Well, Four is Tris’s love interest. Their romance was great and I liked it when the author put the emotional attachment between them in slow pace. The duo really cute being together. I loved the chemistry between them and I totally enjoyed it.

I liked how side characters presented. I liked Christina and Will because they’re good friends and they protect Tris. Romance between them was great too! Right now I’m really afraid what would Christina do if she finds out what had happened to Will. I liked Al too although I hate him for what he did. I even liked Peter because he’s so hateful that makes me hated him so much. There is one character that I liked the most and it’s Tris’s mother, Natalie. She looked nice, warm, soft and gentle in the beginning of the book but at the near-end of the book, she’s badass!

Overall, the book’s just the beginning. The only happy ending I can conclude now is the love between Tris and Four. For the rest, they’re so heart-wrenching especially about Al, Will and Tris’s parents. I can’t wait to know what happens next in Insurgent.

Original review from The Unstopreadable