marvelloussbooks

marvelloussbooks

Reading is in progress.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind 3.5 rounds up to 4 stars

This is my first classic and my first horror book. When I was in college, I heard my friends talked about the movie adaptation and they said it was gruesome and gore. They asked me to watch it but I refused because I don’t watch horror movies. My imagination is too wild and I tend to have nightmare. However, I couldn’t help from being curious back then and went to look for it, decided to read the book instead. I was a happy girl once I had my hands on Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

The happiness didn’t last long though for I experienced quite a few mixed feelings; sick, horror, disgusted, pity, mind blowing, mind fucked etc. To be honest, I felt troubled and terrible after I finished, completely at loss of words. My state of sanity’s at ruin for a bit while, truly. Anyway, after I pondered for a while in regard of this book, I summed up then that it is a story about love. Take note it’s not about a love story. Those two are two different things. Love is supposed to be beautiful but not, in this book. It was vicious and sorrow.

I can’t but marveled at the concept of the story, though. It’s unique! It’s the sole reason why I picked and managed to stay until the end. Yes, it’s fucked up and no happy ending, mind you but then it’s brilliant. How I wish it was told from Grenouille’s perspective when he killed those twenty-four girls so I could scare myself. Definitely would rate the book solid 5 stars and be my latest favourite, if it were. Too bad it was on his perspective only for his first and last kill.

Recommended, but not for the faint hearts as one of fellow GR friends told me.

*Read my status updates for more detailed reactions, HA!*